From ancient greek paidagogos, the pedagogy It is a term that refers to the set of knowledge related to the education . Pedagogy can be considered as a science or an art whose object of study is the educational field.
Social , meanwhile, is that pertaining to or relative to the society (the group of individuals that are part of the same culture and that make up a community through their interactions).
The notion of social pedagogy , therefore, is linked to the science related to educability for socialization . Social pedagogues seek the social reintegration of those outside the system and work for the satisfaction of the needs that are protected by the human rights .
Social pedagogy is responsible for pedagogical intervention in social services for the prevention , the help and the resocialization . Preventive action attempts to anticipate problems to prevent people Dissociate, help consists in assisting those at social risk and resocialization fights for reintegration through the correction of deviant behaviors.
All this comes to determine that the professional who is called social pedagogue is responsible for carrying out a very specific series of actions with which to achieve the objectives that he has proposed to achieve in the area where he works. Specifically, its fundamental functions are as follows:
• Is responsible for educating in values such as respect and tolerance.
• It proceeds to carry out certain coordination actions so that the established objectives can be achieved, in which different groups and formations have a lot to do.
• No less important is the fact that it proceeds to design and implement various projects and plans to achieve its goals.
• It must fundamentally negotiate with those who work to reach agreements that serve to move forward.
• It must also become an instrument for the change of both the people with whom it works and society in general.
• It is vital that a person is not only with great communicative qualities but also with the necessary capacity so that those who intervene in their projects also do their part and collaborate.
It should be noted that the social pedagogue can act in various fields, such as early childhood education, assistance to families, work with adolescents, non-formal education for adults, care for the disabled and the work environment.
However, there are many other areas where social pedagogy also acts through its professionals. This would be the case of family assistance, socio-cultural animation, environmental education, heritage management, cultural management or attention to all those people who, due to certain circumstances, are considered to be in a situation of marginalization. .
The purpose of social pedagogy, in short, is the education to live in society . The development of moral values allows the man can integrate into their culture and society, living in community.