Originating in the Latin word signalis, signal is a sign or one brand It provides information about something in order to warn or notify someone of any issues. The term can also refer to electricity current change which is used for the transmission of data. Digital , meanwhile, is an adjective that mentions what is linked to fingers or to single digit numbers .
With this clear, we can understand what a digital signal . It's about the signal whose signs represent certain discrete values that contain coded information . Systems that use digital signals often appeal to the binary logic of two state , which are replaced by some and zeros , which indicate the high or low state of the electrical voltage level.
A digital signal loses poor quality and can be reconstructed by means of a process Regeneration These signals, moreover, can be processed simply and are not susceptible to ambient noise.
While the analog signals are you continue , digital signals have the ability to pass from a value to another without going through intermediate values. This is linked to what we were commenting before the binary logic : Each digital signal can only take two states, represented by ones and zeros.
In any electronic system , like a computer (computer ), the information is read through the binary code. The digital signals that a computer handles, therefore, are ones and zeros that the system "knows" How to interpret to respond to user orders.
It is important to mention that while there is a widespread idea that the digital signal offers better quality than the analog one, since its wear resistance is much higher, this is not always true. In the case of music For example, it is very easy to recognize a disadvantage of the digital signal against its counterpart: when listening to a recording of a piece with many nuances on a vinyl record, whenever a high fidelity equipment is used, it is likely that a person with a very good ear perceive details that cannot be reproduced on a compact disc.
This also does not mean that the sound of a vinyl record is always better or more natural than that of a compact disc; each case must be analyzed separately, and it is also true that the technology digital advances every second, so it would be false to say that we have known its limits. In other words, the important thing is not to compare both technologies looking for the winner, but trying to understand their differences to know when each should be used.
Some of the advantages of digital signal over analogue are the following:
* if it is attenuated throughout its transmission, it is possible to amplify it;
* perhaps one of the most important is that it offers the possibility of detecting and correcting errors when arriving at destination . This is essential for the stability and performance of many devices, since it allows speeding up without compromising the system in the event of a failure;
* processing a digital signal is much easier than an analog one;
* in the case of the optical disk, it results in an infinite generation with losses of quality tiny.
On the other hand, we also notice the following disadvantages:
* When using a magnetic tape, the loss of information with each generation is older, and in fact it is not possible to make more than 5 generations;
* it requires a process to convert an analog signal to digital and, when it reaches its destination, a decoding;
* It implies the need to synchronize the transmitter and receiver times.